Figure Skating Director – Cool Sports
Application Process located at bottom of this description
Application Deadline: May 13, 2017
Reports to: General Manager
Benefits: Full Time Salary (commensurate with experience: $35,000/yr – $45,000/yr), Employer Paid Health Benefits for employee, 3 weeks of PTO
Department: Ice Rink
The job description below is a Full-time position requiring at a minimum of 40 hours of work per week. Your weekly agenda will be supervised by the General Manager. You will work out your schedule details with your supervisor.
Essential Functions include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Oversees, supervises and promotes/advertises all figure skating programs, including Learn to Skate and freestyle sessions. Responsible for growth and retaining numbers.
- Responsible for revenue collecting through the Max Galaxy software, create “items” on the POS side, and to make sure all info/classes/schedules are up to date and current.
- Creates and Enforces freestyle guidelines
Develops program curriculum and instructional materials for learn-to-skate programs, and coordinates other recreational skating programs (i.e., home school, Girl Scouts, school field trips, and birthday parties).
Finishes reports/evaluations for each session of programming to track profit/loss targets within all programs.
Recommends program schedules, goals and budgets to the General Manager regarding the Learn to Skate, JSA and other figure skating programs.
Develops staff manuals for figure skating and related operations.
Develops and distributes flyers and newsletters for figure skating classes, clinics, and workshops.
Works with marketing coordinators and General Manager to promote and market programs, speaking to groups and the media about skating programs as needed.
- Updates Facebook, website (including Max Galaxy) and other promotional areas to keep information current and relative for customers.
Identifies and solves program-related problems, and handles complaints and requests of the customers. Returns calls and emails in a timely fashion.
Attends professional conferences, seminars, workshops, and/or classes to remain current on trends and innovations in the ice industry.
Serves as the liaison between figure skating associations/club and Cool Sports. Books, collects payments and documentation needed for all private events associated with figure skating, works with Cool Sports Event Manager on any logistics with these rentals.
Drives ice resurfacer as scheduled or needed.
Serves as manager on duty on a rotating basis to ensure Cool Sports senior staff presence at all times when Cool Sports is open.
Participates in the hiring process for skating instructors and ensures their compliance with Cool Sports policies and Ice Center procedures.
Supervises an assistant skating director and all independent skating contractors.
Monitors and tracks time and attendance for approximately 15 seasonal employees, documenting leave use and availability for work scheduling.
Makes recommendations concerning employment, dismissal, reprimands and related actions for seasonal employees.
Figure Skating Director is allowed to perform private coaching on his/her owns time. This private coaching cannot interfere with daily or weekly hours of work described above.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform all essential functions satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability needed. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1) Education/Experience: Graduation from College, with a Sports Management degree preferred; minimum of five (5) years’ experience supervising figure skating programs, or any equivalent combination of training and experience. Post Graduate Degree equals one year of necessary education/experience.
2) General Skill Levels: Knowledge of ice arena operations, including specialized knowledge of figure skating. Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing. Ability to train and supervise subordinate personnel. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, peers, supervisors, and the public. Ability to effectively communicate and relate with staff and the general public. Ability to exercise sound judgment in evaluating situations and in making decisions. Ability to use word processing, spreadsheet, Internet and e-mail software, and other applications as needed by the division. Ability to prepare detailed work reports. Ability to direct, appraise and discipline staff in a respectful and constructive manner. Previous experience operating an ice resurfacer is preferred.
3) Certificates and Licenses: Valid Tennessee Driver’s license; USFS/PSA or other skating associations certificate of coaching, CPR, First Aid, and AED certifications; or ability to obtain all necessary certifications within 30 days of date of hire.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Directly manages independent contractors in the division. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Cool Sports policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include participating in the interviewing, hiring, and training of seasonal employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; and handling complaints and resolving problems, subject to the review of the General Manager.
Physical Requirements/Working Conditions: Work is performed in both an office environment and an ice rink environment where temperature variances are necessary, and will include regular weekend and evening hours. Must be able to sustain a fairly steady active physical exertion with some lifting and/or continuous standing, walking, or skating. Proficient skating skills are required.
How to Apply: Please send cover letter, resume’, and references to:
c/o Richard Beck
110 S. Watt Rd
Knoxville, TN 37934
Or send via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and please attach documents.
Do not fill out online application on website, that is for hourly positions only.